This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
In the following case there was delay in diagnosing uterine rupture in a patient with an epidural in situ. The danger of using large doses of local anaesthetics and opioids epidurally in patients who have had previous caesarean sections is discussed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Rupture of uterine scar in a patient given epidural analgesia.Lancet. 1976; 1: 1177-1178
- The epidural sieve and MBC (minimal blocking concentration): an hypothesis.Anaesthesia. 1976; 31: 1277-1280
- Epidural analgesia and previous caesarean section.Anaesthesia. 1983; 38: 336-341
- Analgesia in labour.Br J Anaesth. 1977; 49: 11-17
- Extradural block in patients who have previously undergone caesarean section.Br J Anaesth. 1980; 52: 827-829
- Epidural analgesia in obstetrics.BMJ. 1989; 299: 751-752
- Br J Anaesth. 47. 1975: 276 Symposium discussion.
- Rupture of uterine scar in a patient given epidural analgesia.Lancet. 1976; 1: 1204
- Vaginal delivery under caudal analgesia after caesarean section and other major uterine surgery.BMJ. 1972; 2: 740-742
- The role of epidural anesthesia in trial of labor.Regional Anesth. 1990; 15: 304
- Abolition of the extradural sieve by addition of fentanyl to extradural bupivacaine.Br J Anaesth. 1992; 69: 520
- Fentanyl and the extradural sieve.Br J Anaesth. 1993; 71: 920
- The extradural sieve.Br J Anaesth. 1994; 73: 430
- Epidural analgesia and uterine rupture during labour.Anaesth Int Care. 1994; 22: 79
© 1995 Pearson Professional Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc.