Velocardiofacial or 22q11 deletion syndrome is a genetic condition caused by deletion 22q11, the deletion of a small segment of the long arm of chromosome 22. To our knowledge this is the first case report of a woman with Velocardiofacial syndrome presenting in late pregnancy for caesarean delivery. She had undergone a Tetralogy of Fallot repair as an infant and had residual pulmonary regurgitation. In addition examination revealed micrognathia and scoliosis. Neuraxial anaesthesia was unsuccessful and subsequent conversion to general anaesthesia was necessary despite concerns regarding her facial abnormalities, pulmonary regurgitation and mild intellectual impairment.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Velo-cardio-facial syndrome.J Ment Health Res Intellect Disabil. 2009; 2: 149-163
- Congenital absence of the thymus and its immunological consequences: concurrence with congenital hypoparathyroidism.Birth Defects Original Article Series. 1968; 4: 116-121
- Scoliosis in velo-cardio-facial syndrome.J Pediatr Orthop. 2002; 22: 780-783
- Regional blockade for delivery in women with scoliosis or previous spinal surgery.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2003; 12: 17-22
- Combined spinal–epidural in the obstetric patient with Harrington rods assisted by ultrasonography.Br J Anaesth. 1999; 83: 670-672
- Continuous spinal anesthesia with combined hyperbaric and isobaric bupivacaine in a patient with scoliosis.Anesth Analg. 1990; 70: 445-447
- Distribution of local anesthetic solutions within the subarachnoid space.Anesth Analg. 1985; 64: 715-730
- Pulmonary valve replacement after tetralogy of Fallots repair in preadolescent patients.Ann Thorac Surg. 2010; 89: 147-151
- Heart disease and pregnancy.Heart. 2001; 85: 710-715
- Autism, ADHD, mental retardation and behaviour problems in 100 individuals with 22q11 deletion syndrome.Res Dev Disabil. 2009; 30: 763-773
Lewis G, editor. Confidential, Enquiry, Maternal, Child, Health (CEMACH). Saving Mother’s Lives: reviewing maternal deaths to make motherhood safer: 2003–2005. The seventh report on confidential enquiries into maternal deaths in the United Kingdom. London: CEMACH, 2007.
Published online: May 25, 2011
Accepted: December 15, 2010
© 2010 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.