I read with interest the paper by Thon et al. describing the use of prophylactic internal iliac occlusion balloon catheters in parturients with placenta accreta.
1The pelvic collateral system is highly interconnected with aortic, internal iliac, external iliac and femoral components.
- Thon S.
- McLintic A.
- Wagner Y.
Prophylactic endovascular placement of internal iliac occlusion balloon catheters in parturients with placenta accreta: a retrospective case series.
Int J Obstet Anesth. 2011; 20: 64-70
2Most abnormal placentation occurs in the lower uterine segment for which the main blood supply is by collaterals from the internal pudendal artery.
- Hassen-Khodja R.
- Batt M.
- Michetti C.
- Le Bas P.
Radiologic anatomy of the anastomotic systems of the internal iliac artery.
Surg Radiol Anat. 1987; 9: 135-140
3The latter usually arise from the posterior division of the internal iliac artery, so occlusion of the anterior division of the internal iliac artery is unlikely to have a hemostatic effect in abnormal lower uterine abnormal placentation.
- Palacios-Jaraquemada J.M.
- García-Mónaco R.
- Barbosa N.E.
- Ferle L.
- Iriarte H.
- Conesa H.A.
Lower uterine blood supply: extrauterine anastomotic system and its application in surgical devascularization techniques.
Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2007; 86: 228-234
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Prophylactic endovascular placement of internal iliac occlusion balloon catheters in parturients with placenta accreta: a retrospective case series.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2011; 20: 64-70
- Radiologic anatomy of the anastomotic systems of the internal iliac artery.Surg Radiol Anat. 1987; 9: 135-140
- Lower uterine blood supply: extrauterine anastomotic system and its application in surgical devascularization techniques.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2007; 86: 228-234
- Intra-aortic balloon occlusion to salvage patients with life-threatening hemorrhagic shocks from pelvic fractures.J Trauma. 2010; 68: 942-948
- Temporary cross-clamping of the infrarenal abdominal aorta during cesarean hysterectomy to control operative blood loss in placenta increta/percreta.Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol. 2010; 49: 72-76
Published online: June 03, 2011
Accepted: January 25, 2011
© 2011 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.