A healthy 31-year-old parturient was scheduled for elective caesarean section. Her history, physical examination and blood results were unremarkable. Spinal anesthesia using bupivacaine 10 mg and sufentanil 2.5 μg was performed with a 26-gauge Quincke needle in the sitting position using the midline approach at the L3–4 interspace. Surgery and recovery were uneventful, and the patient was discharged the following day in good health.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Four cases of diplopia following spinal anesthesia.Masui. 2005; 54: 767-771
- Divergence paresis without positional headache: an unusual presentation of cerebrospinal fluid hypovolemia after spinal anesthesia.Anesth Analg. 2006; 102: 1865-1866
- Abducens nerve palsy after lumbar spinal fusion surgery with inadvertent dural tearing.J Korean Neurosurg Soc. 2009; 46: 581-583
- Auditory, ocular, and facial complications of central neural block. A review of possible mechanisms.Reg Anesth. 1996; 21: 197-201
- Oculomotor paralysis and spinal anesthesia.Ann Fr Anesth Reanim. 2001; 20: 32-35
- Epidural blood patch in the treatment of abducens palsy after a dural puncture.Can J Anesth. 2007; 54: 146-150
- An in vitro study of dural lesions produced by 25-gauge Quincke and Whitacre needles evaluated by scanning electron microscopy.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2000; 25: 393-402
- Ocular manifestations uncover chronic subdural hematoma secondary to abuse.Optometry. 2010; 81: 61-70
- Diplopia: a complication of dural puncture.Anesthesiology. 2004; 100: 158-164
- Dose-response relationship of mannitol and intracranial pressure: a metaanalysis.J Neurosurg. 2008; 108: 80-87
- Effect of mannitol on ICP, CBF, correlation with pressure autoregulation in severely head injured patients.J Neurosurg. 1984; 61: 700
- Effect of mannitol, furosemide on blood-brain osmotic gradient, intracranial pressure.J Neurosurg. 1983; 59: 945
- Treatment of experimental focal cerebral ischemia with mannitol.J Neurosurg. 1987; 66: 109-115
- The effect of mannitol on cerebral blood flow.J Neurosurg. 1986; 64: 754-759
- Relationship between cardiac output and cerebral blood flow in patients with intact and with impaired autoregulation.J Neurosurg. 1990; 73: 368-374
- Mild hypothermia, hypertension, and mannitol are protective against infarction during experimental intracranial temporary vessel occlusion.Neurosurgery. 1996; 38: 1202-1210
Published online: June 03, 2011
Accepted: February 1, 2011
© 2011 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.