Henoch–Schonlein purpura (HSP) is a small vessel vasculitis characterised by the deposition of IgA antibodies and immune complexes in blood vessels and renal mesangium.
1It affects children more commonly than adults, although it can occur at any age.
- Saulsbury F.T.
Clinical update: Henoch–Schönlein purpura.
Lancet. 2007; 369: 976-978
2The classic triad of HSP is that of purpura, arthritis and abdominal pain. HSP nephritis is a common complication which may lead to renal failure.
- Kellerman P.S.
Henoch–Schönlein purpura in adults.
Am J Kidney Dis. 2006; 48: 1009-1016
3There is also an associated risk of haemorrhagic complications involving lungs, brain, gastrointestinal tract and urinary system.
- Goldstein A.R.
- White R.H.R.
- Akuse R.
- Chantler C.
Long-term follow-up of childhood Henoch–Schonlein nephritis.
Lancet. 1992; 339: 280-282
- Chiaretti A.
- Caresta E.
- Piastra M.
- Pulitano S.
- Di Rocco C.
Cerebral hemorrhage in Henoch–Schönlein syndrome.
Childs Nerv Syst. 2002; 18: 365-367
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Clinical update: Henoch–Schönlein purpura.Lancet. 2007; 369: 976-978
- Henoch–Schönlein purpura in adults.Am J Kidney Dis. 2006; 48: 1009-1016
- Long-term follow-up of childhood Henoch–Schonlein nephritis.Lancet. 1992; 339: 280-282
- Cerebral hemorrhage in Henoch–Schönlein syndrome.Childs Nerv Syst. 2002; 18: 365-367
- Laboratory signs of activated coagulation are common in Henoch–Schonlein purpura.Pediatr Nephrol. 2001; 16: 1084-1088
- Henoch–Schonlein purpura in pregnancy.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2008; 28: 403-405
Published online: September 12, 2011
Accepted: July 12, 2011
© 2011 Elsevier Ltd. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.