- •Amniotic fluid embolism is a rare obstetric emergency with high mortality.
- •Diagnosis is by exclusion of other causes of maternal collapse.
- •Laboratory tests taking up to 90 min are not useful to aid real time diagnosis.
- •Point-of-care testing could be useful in both diagnosis and management.
- •Point-of-care testing can help guide individualized blood product management.
MBRRACE-UK. Saving Lives, Improving Mothers’ Care. Lessons learned to inform maternity care from the UK and Ireland Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths and Morbidity 2013–15.2017. Available at: https://www.npeu.ox.ac.uk/downloads/files/mbrrace-uk/reports/MBRRACE-UK%20Maternal%20Report%202017%20-%20Web.pdf. Accessed [May 5, 2018].
- Haemostatic management of obstetric haemorrhage.Anaesthesia. 2015; 70 (e27–8): 78-86
- AAGBI guidelines: the use of blood components and their alternatives.Anaesthesia. 2016; 71: 829-842
- Amniotic fluid embolism: diagnosis and management.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 215: B16-B24
- Viscoelastometric-guided early fibringogen concentrate replacement during postpartum haemorrhage: OBS2, a double-blind randomized controlled trial.Br J Anaesth. 2017; 119: 411-421
- Viscoelastometry guided fresh frozen plasma infusion for postpartum haemorrhage: OBS2, an observational study.Br J Anaesth. 2017; 119: 422-434
- The use of viscoelastic haemostatic assays in the management of major bleeding. A British Society for Haematology Guideline.Br J Haematol. 2018; (Available at: https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1111/bjh.15524. Accessed August 7, 2018)
Abertawe Bro Morgannwg University Health Board. Management of massive obstetric haemorrhage.2017. Available at: http://www.wisdom.wales.nhs.uk/sitesplus/documents/1183/Massive%20Obstetric%20Haemorrhage%2C%20Management%283%29%5FAMBU%20Maternity%20Guideline%202017.pdf. Accessed June 12, 2018.
Resuscitation Council (UK). Adult Advanced Life Support.2015. Available at: https://www.resus.org.uk/resuscitation-guidelines/adult-advanced-life-support/#algorithm. Accessed May 5, 2018.
- Measurement of blood loss during postpartum haemorrhage.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2015; 24: 8-14
- Amniotic fluid embolism.Cont Ed Anaesth Crit Care Pain. 2007; 7: 152-156
- Amniotic fluid embolism: analysis of the national registry.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1995; 172: 1158-1169
- Massive pulmonary embolism leading to cardiac arrest is associated with consumptive coagulopathy presenting as disseminated intravascular coagulation.J Thromb Haemost. 2010; 8: 1477-1482
- Disseminated intravascular coagulation in obstetric disorders and its acute haematological management.Blood Rev. 2009; 23: 167-176
- Emergent transesophageal echocardiography in hemodynamically unstable obstetric patients.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2015; 24: 131-136
- Amniotic fluid embolism: an evidence-based review.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2009; 201: 445
- Echocardiographic pattern of acute pulmonary embolism: analysis of 511 consecutive patients.J Am Soc Echocardiogr. 2016; 29: 907-913
- Amniotic fluid embolism: a leading cause of maternal death yet still a medical conundrum.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2013; 22: 329-336
- Effect of amniotic fluid on coagulation and platelet function in pregnancy: an evaluation using thromboelastography.Anaesthesia. 2005; 60: 1068-1072
- Algorithm-based coagulation management of catastrophic amniotic fluid embolism.Blood Coagul Fibrinolysis. 2010; 21: 95-100
- Hyperfibrinolysis diagnosed by rotational thromboelastometry in a case of suspected amniotic fluid embolism.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2013; 22: 71-76