- •Reported post-caesarean surgical site infection (SSI) rates vary from 1% to 10%.
- •International variation is seen in recommended prophylactic antibiotic regimens.
- •Surgical technique for wound closure influences SSI rate.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
- Infectious morbidity after cesarean delivery: 10 strategies to reduce risk.Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 5: 69-77
- Epidemiology of and surveillance for postpartum infections.Emerg Infect Dis. 2001; 7: 837
CDC Procedure-Associated Module SSI. United States: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2019. Available at: https://www.cdc.gov/nhsn/faqs/faq-ssi-proc-codes.html. Accessed July 7, 2019.
- Maternal morbidity associated with vaginal versus cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2004; 103: 907-912
- Maternal outcomes associated with planned primary cesarean births compared with planned vaginal births.Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 109: 669-677
- Pre-incision antibiotic prophylaxis reduces the incidence of post-caesarean surgical site infection.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 83: 68-70
- Readmissions for surgical site infections following caesarean section.Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol. 2018; 58: 582-585
- Practices to reduce surgical site infections among women undergoing cesarean section: a review.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2015; 36: 915-921
- Surgical site infection risk following cesarean deliveries covered by medicaid or private insurance.Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2019; 40: 639-648
- Surgical site infection after cesarean delivery: incidence and risk factors at a US academic institution.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2018; 31: 1873-1880
- Inter-hospital comparison of rates of surgical site infection following caesarean section delivery: evaluation of a multicentre surveillance study.J Hosp Infect. 2013; 84: 44-51
- National Healthcare Safety Network (NHSN) report: data summary for 2006 through 2008, issued December 2009.Am J Infect Control. 2009; 37: 783-805
- A review of post-caesarean infectious morbidity: how to prevent and treat.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2018; 38: 591-597
- Risk factors for surgical site infection following caesarean section in England: results from a multicentre cohort study.BJOG. 2012; 119: 1324-1333
- A systematic review of maternal intrinsic risk factors associated with surgical site infection following Caesarean sections.Healthcare Infection. 2010; 15: 35-41
- Impact of evidence-based interventions on wound complications after cesarean delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 217 (4491.e1–449.e9)
eTG complete. Melbourne, Australia: Therapeutic Guidelines Ltd, 2019. Antibiotics: Surgical prophylaxis. Available at: https://tgldcdp.tg.org.au/viewTopic?topicfile=surgical-prophylaxis#toc_d1e1413. Accessed June 1, 2019.
- Presumed β-lactam allergy and cross-reactivity in the operating theater: a practical approach.Anesthesiology. 2018; 129: 335-342
- Infections complicating cesarean delivery.Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2018; 31: 368-376
- Clinical practice guidelines for antimicrobial prophylaxis in surgery.Am J Health Syst Pharm. 2013; 70: 195-283
Prophylactic antibiotics in obstetrics and gynaecology. Melbourne, Australia. Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists, 2016. Available at: https://www.ranzcog.edu.au/Statements-Guidelines. Accessed June 7, 2019.
- Use of prophylactic antibiotics in labor and delivery. ACOG Practice Bulletin No. 199.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 132: e103-e119
Clinical guideline 132 Caesarean Section. United Kingdom: National Institute for Clinical and Healthcare Excellence, 2011. Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/cg132. Accessed June 1, 2019.
- Antibiotic prophylaxis versus no prophylaxis for preventing infection after cesarean section.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 10: CD007482
- Randomized clinical trial of extended spectrum antibiotic prophylaxis with coverage for Ureaplasma urealyticum to reduce post-cesarean delivery endometritis.Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 101: 1183-1189
MIMS Online. Australia, 2019. Lincomycin. Available at: https://www.mimsonline.com.au. Accessed August 5, 2019.
Medicines Complete. United Kingdom: British National Formulary, 2019. Obstetric and Gynaecological Surgery antibacterial prophylaxis. Available at: http://www.medicinescomplete.com. Accessed August 5, 2019.
- Different classes of antibiotics given to women routinely for preventing infection at caesarean section.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 11: CD008726
- Choice of prophylactic antibiotics and surgical site infections after cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 132: 948-955
- Perioperative antibiotic choice in labored versus unlabored cesareans and risk of postcesarean infectious morbidity.Am J Perinatol. 2018; 35: 127-133
- Adjunctive azithromycin prophylaxis for cesarean delivery.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 1231-1241
- A comparison of 3 antibiotic regimens for prevention of postcesarean endometritis: an historical cohort study.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2016; 214: 751e1-751e4
- Current debate on the use of antibiotic prophylaxis for caesarean section.BJOG. 2011; 118: 193-201
- Timing of intravenous prophylactic antibiotics for preventing postpartum infectious morbidity in women undergoing cesarean delivery.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2014; 12: CD009516
- Timing of perioperative antibiotics for cesarean delivery: a metaanalysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008; 199: 301e1-301e6
- Administration of cefazolin prior to skin incision is superior to cefazolin at cord clamping in preventing postcesarean infectious morbidity: a randomized, controlled trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 196: 455e1-455e5
- Optimal administration of cefazolin prophylaxis for cesarean delivery.J Perinatol. 2017; 37: 16-20
eucast.org European Committee on Antimicrobial Susceptibility Testing. MIC and zone diameter distributions and ECOFFs. Available at: http://www.eucast.org/mic_distributions_and_ecoffs/. Accessed March 1, 2019.
- Wound infection in the obese pregnant woman.Semin Perinatol. 2011; 35: 345-349
- Extreme obesity and postcesarean wound complications in the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Unit Cesarean Registry.Am J Perinatol. 2015; 32: 1336-1341
- Effect of post–cesarean delivery oral cephalexin and metronidazole on surgical site infection among obese women: a randomized clinical trial.JAMA. 2017; 318: 1026-1034
- Trial of labor compared with cesarean delivery in superobese women.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 994-1000
- Cesarean section in morbidly obese parturients: practical implications and complications.N Am J Med Sci. 2012; 4: 13-18
- Clinical management of pregnancy in the obese mother: before conception, during pregnancy, and postpartum.Lancet Diabetes Endocrinol. 2016; 4: 1037-1049
- Reduced subcutaneous tissue distribution of cefazolin in morbidly obese versus non-obese patients determined using clinical microdialysis.J Antimicrob Chemother. 2013; 69: 715-723
- Peri-operative management of the obese surgical patient 2015: Association of Anaesthetists of Great Britain and Ireland Society for Obesity and Bariatric Anaesthesia.Anaesthesia. 2015; 70: 859-876
- Does current cefazolin dosing achieve adequate tissue and blood concentrations in obese women undergoing cesarean section?.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2017; 210: 334-341
- Effects of maternal obesity on tissue concentrations of prophylactic cefazolin during cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 117: 877-882
- Plasma and tissue cefazolin concentrations in obese patients undergoing cesarean delivery and receiving differing pre-operative doses of drug.Surg Infect (Larchmt). 2013; 14: 455-459
- Increased 3-gram cefazolin dosing for cesarean delivery prophylaxis in obese women.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: 451e1-451e8
- . Pharmacokinetics of cefazolin prophylaxis in obese gravidae at time of cesarean delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 213: 541e1-541e7
- Cefazolin prophylaxis in obese women undergoing cesarean delivery: a randomized controlled trial.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 125: 1205-1210
- Population pharmacokinetics of cefazolin in serum and adipose tissue from overweight and obese women undergoing Cesarean Delivery.J Clin Pharmacol. 2017; 57: 712-719
- Microdialysis as a way to measure antibiotics concentration in tissues.Pharmacol Res. 2016; 111: 201-207
- Single dose versus multiple dose of antibiotic prophylaxis in caesarean section: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BJOG. 2017; 124: 595-605
- Routes of administration of antibiotic prophylaxis for preventing infection after caesarean section.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 6: CD011876
- The mode of delivery affects the diversity and colonization pattern of the gut microbiota during the first year of infants' life: a systematic review.BMC Gastroenterol. 2016; 16: 86
- Cesarean section changes neonatal gut colonization.J Allergy Clin Immunol. 2016; 138: 881-889
- Impact of maternal intrapartum antibiotics, method of birth and breastfeeding on gut microbiota during the first year of life: a prospective cohort study.BJOG. 2016; 23: 983-993
- Prevention of perinatal group B streptococcal disease: revised guidelines from CDC.Morbidity Mortality Weekly Report. 2002; 11: 1-22
- Antibiotics for preterm rupture of membranes.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2003; 2: CD001058
- Are we using too many antibiotics during pregnancy?.BJOG. 2013; 120: 1450-1452
- Prenatal exposure to antibiotics, cesarean section and risk of childhood obesity.Int J Obes. 2014; 39: 665-670
- Gut microbiota as a target for food allergy.J Pediatr Gastroenterol Nutr. 2016; 63: S11-S13
- The first thousand days – intestinal microbiology of early life: establishing a symbiosis.Pediatr Allergy and Immunol. 2014; 25: 428-438
- Mode of delivery and asthma – Is there a connection?.Pediatr Res. 2002; 52 (6–6)
- Asthma at 8 years of age in children born by caesarean section.Thorax. 2009; 64: 107-113
- Dysbiosis in children born by caesarean section.Ann Nutr Metab. 2018; 73: 24-32
- Maternal antibiotic prophylaxis affects Bifidobacterium spp. counts in the human milk, during the first week after delivery.Benef Microbes. 2019; 10: 155-163
- Long-term risks and benefits associated with cesarean delivery for mother, baby, and subsequent pregnancies: Systematic review and meta-analysis.PLoS Med. 2018; 15e1002494
- The neonatal microbiome and its partial role in mediating the association between birth by cesarean section and adverse pediatric outcomes.Neonatology. 2018; 114: 103-111
- Antibiotic prophylaxis for women undergoing caesarean section and infant health.BJOG. 2016; 123: 875-876
- Vaginal preparation with antiseptic solution before cesarean section for preventing postoperative infections.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 7: CD007892
- Vaginal cleansing before cesarean delivery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 527-538
- Institutional protocols for vaginal preparation with antiseptic solution and surgical site infection rate in women undergoing cesarean delivery during labor.Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 132: 371-376
- Best practice perioperative strategies and surgical techniques for preventing caesarean section surgical site infections: a systematic review of reviews and meta-analyses.BJOG. 2018; 125: 956-964
- A randomized trial comparing skin antiseptic agents at cesarean delivery.N Engl J Med. 2016; 374: 647-655
- Optimal skin antiseptic agents for prevention of surgical site infection in cesarean section: a meta-analysis with trial sequential analysis.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2018; 31: 3267-3274
- Skin preparation for preventing infection following caesarean section.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 10: CD007462
- A randomized open-label controlled trial of chlorhexidine-alcohol vs povidone-iodine for cesarean antisepsis: the CAPICA trial.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 217: 463e1-463e8
- American College of Surgeons and Surgical Infection Society: surgical site infection guidelines, 2016 update.J Am Coll Surg. 2017; 224: 59-74
Clinical guideline 125 Surgical site infections: prevention and treatment. United Kingdom: National Institute for Clinical and Healthcare Excellence, 2019. Available at: https://www.nice.org.uk/guidance/ng125. Accessed July 24, 2019.
- The Betadine trial – antiseptic wound irrigation prior to skin closure at caesarean section to prevent surgical site infection: a randomised controlled trial.Aust NZ J Obstet Gynaecol. 2016; 56: 301-306
- Intra-abdominal saline irrigation at cesarean section: a systematic review and meta-analysis.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2016; 29: 1588-1594
- Extreme obesity and postcesarean maternal complications.Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 124: 227-232
- Impact of single- vs double-layer closure on adverse outcomes and uterine scar defect: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2014; 211: 453-460
- Wound complications in obese women after cesarean: a comparison of staples versus subcuticular suture.J Perinatol. 2016; 36: 819-822
- Wound drainage for caesarean section.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2013; 12: CD004549
- Prophylactic subcutaneous drainage for prevention of wound complications after cesarean delivery–a meta-analysis.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 197: 229-235
- Obesity in pregnancy. Practice Bulletin No. 156.Obstet Gynecol. 2015; 126: e112-e126
- Prophylactic negative pressure wound therapy in obese patients following cesarean delivery.Surg Innov. 2018; 25: 43-49
- Cost-effectiveness of incisional negative pressure wound therapy compared with standard care after caesarean section in obese women: a trial-based economic evaluation.BJOG. 2019; 126: 619-627
- Cost-utility analysis of negative pressure wound therapy in high-risk cesarean section wounds.J Surg Res. 2015; 195: 612-622
- Prophylactic negative pressure wound therapy for obese women after cesarean delivery: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 130: 969-978
- Prophylactic incisional negative pressure wound therapy reduces the risk of surgical site infection after caesarean section in obese women: a pragmatic randomised clinical trial.BJOG. 2019; 26: 628-635