- •Few data on neurologic outcomes after in utero exposure to general anesthesia (GA).
- •Secondary analysis of randomized trial of maternal magnesium and cerebral palsy.
- •Exposure to GA was not associated with impaired neurodevelopment overall.
- •Only severe motor delay was significantly more common among infants exposed to GA.
- •Findings are reassuring regarding a single, short in utero exposure to GA.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
- Complications of anesthesia for cesarean delivery.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 281-287
- Mode of anaesthesia for preterm Cesarean delivery: secondary analysis from the Maternal-Fetal Medicine Units Network Caesarean Registry.Br J Anaesth. 2015; 115: 267-274
FDA Drug Safety Communication: FDA review results in new warnings about using general anesthetics and sedation drugs in young children and pregnant women. Available at https://www.fda.gov/drugs/drugsafety/ucm532356.htm. December 14, 2016. Accessed July 2020.
- Food and Drug Administration warning on anesthesia and brain development: implications for obstetric and fetal surgery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 218: 98-102
- Propofol-induced apoptosis of neurons and oligodendrocytes in fetal and neonatal rhesus macaque brain.Br J Anaesth. 2013; 110: i29-i38
- General anesthesia during the third trimester: any link to neurocognitive outcomes?.Anesthesiol Clin. 2013; 35: 69-80
- Rats exposed to isoflurane in utero during early gestation are behaviorally abnormal as adults.Anesthesiology. 2011; 114: 521-528
- General anesthetics and the developing brain.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2009; 22: 368-373
- Are anesthesia and surgery during infancy associated with altered academic performance during childhood?.Anesthesiology. 2012; 117: 494-503
- GAS Consortium. Neurodevelopmental outcome at 5 years of age after general anaesthesia or awake-regional anaesthesia in infancy (GAS): an international, multicentre, randomised, controlled equivalence trial.Lancet. 2019; 393: 664-677
- Association between a single general anesthesia exposure before age 36 months and neurocognitive outcomes in later childhood.JAMA. 2016; 315: 2312-2320
- Neuropsychological and behavioral outcomes after exposure of young children to procedures requiring general anesthesia: The Mayo Anesthesia Safety in Kids (MASK) Study.Anesthesiology. 2018; 129: 89-105
- Association of anesthesia and surgery during childhood with long-term academic performance.JAMA Pediatr. 2017; 171e163470
- A population-based study evaluating the association between surgery in early life and child development at primary school entry.Anesthesiology. 2016; 125: 272-279
- Influence of surgical procedures and general anesthesia on child development before primary school entry among matched sibling pairs.JAMA Pediatr. 2019; 173: 29-36
- Regional versus general anaesthesia for caesarean section (review).Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 10 (CD004350)
- Anesthesia for cesarean delivery and learning disabilities in a population-based birth cohort.Anesthesiology. 2009; 111: 302-310
- A randomized, controlled trial of magnesium sulfate for the prevention of cerebral palsy.N Engl J Med. 2008; 359: 895-905
- Are outcomes of extremely preterm infants improving? Impact of Bayley assessment on outcomes.J Pediatr. 2012; 161: 222-228
- Using the Bayley-III to assess neurodevelopmental delay: which cut-off should be used?.Pediatr Res. 2014; 75: 670-674
- Comparison of variable selection methods for clinical predictive modeling.Int J Med Inform. 2018; 116: 10-17
- Perinatal and neonatal use of sedation and analgesia.Semin Fetal Neonatal Med. 2017; 22: 314-320
- Overview of anesthetic considerations for cesarean delivery.Br Med Bull. 2012; 101: 105-125
- General anesthesia for caesarean section.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2015; 28: 240-246
- Risk of autism associated with general anesthesia during cesarean delivery: a population-based birth-cohort analysis.J Autism Dev Disord. 2015; 45: 932-942
- Previous exposure to anesthesia and autism spectrum disorder (ASD): a Puerto Rican population-based sibling cohort study.Bol Asoc Med P R. 2015; 107: 29-37
- Long-term neurobehavioral consequences of a single ketamine neonatal exposure in rats: effects on cellular viability and glutamate transport in frontal cortex and hippocampus.Neurotox Res. 2018; 34: 649-659