- •Predictive models for breakthrough pain were developed.
- •Retrospective data of neuraxial labour analgesia from a single centre were used.
- •Machine learning (random forest and XGBoost) and logistic regression were used.
- •The models performed similarly, with area-under-the-curve 0.763–0.772.
- •The model derived using logistic regression required the fewest variables.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
- Epidural versus non-epidural or no analgesia for pain management in labour.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 5 (CD000331)
- Evaluation of association factors for labor episodic pain during epidural analgesia.J Pain Res. 2019; 12: 679-687
- Incidence and risk factors for epidural re-siting in parturients with breakthrough pain during labour epidural analgesia: a cohort study.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2018; 34: 28-36
- Inadequate pain relief with labor epidurals: a multivariate analysis of associated factors.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2009; 18: 10-14
- Incidence of epidural catheter replacement in parturients: a retrospective chart review.Int J Obstet Anesth. 1998; 7: 220-225
- Complications of obstetric epidural analgesia and anaesthesia: a prospective analysis of 10,995 cases.Int J Obstet Anesth. 1998; 7: 5-11
- Predictors of breakthrough pain during labor epidural analgesia.Anesth Analg. 2001; 93: 414-418
- Anesthetic and obstetric outcome in morbidly obese parturients.Anesthesiology. 1993; 79: 1210-1218
- Severity of labour pain: Influence of physical as well as psychologic variables.Can Med Assoc J. 1984; 130: 579-584
- Risk factors of inadequate pain relief during epidural analgesia for labour and delivery.Can J Anaesth. 1998; 45: 719-723
- Incidence and characteristics of failures in obstetric neuraxial analgesia and anesthesia: a retrospective analysis of 19,259 deliveries.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2004; 13: 227-233
- Incidence and characteristics of breakthrough pain in parturients using computer-integrated patient-controlled epidural analgesia.J Clin Anesth. 2015; 27: 277-284
- Predicting disease risks from highly imbalanced data using random forest.BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2011; 11: 51
- Risk scoring for prediction of acute cardiac complications from imbalanced clinical data.IEEE J Biomed Health Inform. 2014; 18: 1894-1902
- Ensemble learning with active example selection for imbalanced biomedical data classification.IEEE/ACM Trans Comput Biol Bioinform. 2011; 8: 316-325
- Edoctor: Machine learning and the future of medicine.J Intern Med. 2018; 284: 603-619
- Applications of machine learning in cancer prediction and prognosis.Cancer Inform. 2007; 2: 59-77
- Machine learning prediction of cancer cell sensitivity to drugs based on genomic and chemical properties.PLoS ONE. 2013; 8e61318
- Unsupervised learning technique identifies bronchiectasis phenotypes with distinct clinical characteristics.Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2016; 20: 402-410
- Distinguishing asthma phenotypes using machine learning approaches.Curr Allergy Asthma Rep. 2015; 15: 38
- Can machine-learning improve cardiovascular risk prediction using routine clinical data?.PLoS ONE. 2017; 12e0174944
- Prediction of adverse cardiac events in emergency department patients with chest pain using machine learning for variable selection.BMC Med Inform Decis Mak. 2014; 14: 75
- An intelligent scoring system and its application to cardiac arrest prediction.IEEE Trans Inf Technol Biomed. 2012; 16: 1324-1331
- Transparent reporting of a multivariable prediction model for individual prognosis or diagnosis (tripod).Ann Intern Med. 2015; 162: 735-736
- Random forests.Machine Learning. 2001; 45: 5-32
Chen T, Xgboost, G.C. A scalable tree boosting system, Proceedings of the 22nd ACM SIGKDD International Conference on Knowledge Discovery and Data Mining, 2016;785-94.
Louppe G, Wehenkel L, Sutera A, Geurts P. Understanding variable importances in forests of randomized trees. Adv Neural Inf Process Systems 2013;431-9.
- A new test and graphical tool to assess the goodness of fit of logistic regression models.Stat Med. 2016; 35: 709-720
- A systematic review shows no performance benefit of machine learning over logistic regression for clinical prediction models.J Clin Epidemiol. 2019; 110: 12-22
- Comparison of machine learning methods with traditional models for use of administrative claims with electronic medical records to predict heart failure outcomes.JAMA Netw Open. 2020; 3e1918962
Pua YH, Kang H, Thumboo J, et al. Machine learning methods are comparable to logistic regression techniques in predicting severe walking limitation following total knee arthroplasty. Knee Surg Sports Traumatol Arthrosc 2020;28:3207–16.
- Meta-analysis of the success of block following combined spinal-epidural vs epidural analgesia during labour.Anaesthesia. 2014; 69: 64-71
- Local anesthetic requirements are greater in dystocia than in normal labor.Anesthesiology. 2003; 98: 957-963
- Dystocia in labour - risk factors, management and outcome: a retrospective observational study in a swedish setting.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2008; 87: 216-221
- Indicated labor induction with vaginal prostaglandin e2 increases the risk of cesarean section even in multiparous women with no previous cesarean section.J Perinat Med. 2004; 32: 31-36
- Reducing breakthrough pain during labour epidural analgesia: an update.Curr Opin Anaesthesiol. 2019; 32: 307-314
- A randomized controlled comparison of epidural analgesia and combined spinal-epidural analgesia in a private practice setting: pain scores during first and second stages of labor and at delivery.Anesth Analg. 2013; 116: 636-643
- New techniques for labor analgesia: PCEA and CSE.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2003; 46: 623-632
- Obstetric outcomes and maternal satisfaction in nulliparous women using patient-controlled epidural analgesia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2011; 205: e271-e276
- Patient-controlled epidural analgesia versus continuous infusion for labour analgesia: a meta-analysis.Br J Anaesth. 2002; 89: 459-465
- Automated mandatory bolus versus basal infusion for maintenance of epidural analgesia in labour.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2018; 5: CD011344
- Epidural neostigmine and clonidine improves the quality of combined spinal epidural analgesia in labour: a randomised, double-blind controlled trial.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2014; 31: 190-196
- Factors related to childbirth satisfaction.J Adv Nurs. 2004; 46: 212-219