- •Review of association between neuraxial labor analgesia and postpartum depression.
- •Postpartum depression has long-term health implications.
- •Neuraxial analgesia is not clearly associated with postpartum depression.
- •The interaction between pain and postpartum depression is complex.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
- Postpartum depression.N Engl J Med. 2016; 375: 2177-2186
- Perinatal depression: a systematic review of prevalence and incidence.Obstet Gynecol. 2005; 106: 1071-1083
- Consequences of maternal postpartum depression: A systematic review of maternal and infant outcomes.Womens Health (Lond). 2019; 15 (1745506519844044)
- Course of a major postpartum depressive episode: a prospective 2 years naturalistic follow-up study.J Affect Disord. 2019; 245: 965-970
- Effects of perinatal mental disorders on the fetus and child.Lancet. 2014; 384: 1800-1819
- Maternal postnatal depression and the development of depression in offspring up to 16 years of age.J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2011; 50: 460-470
- Identifying and assessing the benefits of interventions for postnatal depression: a systematic review of economic evaluations.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2018; 18: 179
NICE (2015) National Collaborating Centre for Mental Health. Antenatal and postnatal mental health: the NICE guideline on clinical management and service guidance, National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. Accessed July 1, 2019.
Austin MP, Highet N and the Expert Working Group Mental Health Care in the Perinatal Period. Australian Clinical Practice Guideline. Melbourne: Centre of Perinatal Excellence. 2017.
- Recognizing maternal mental health disorders: beyond postpartum depression.Curr Opin Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 31: 116-119
- Postpartum depression: a systemic review of the genetics involved.World J Psychiatry. 2015; 5: 103-111
- Biological and psychosocial predictors of postpartum depression: systematic review and call for integration.Ann Rev Clin Psychol. 2015; 11: 99-137
- Labor Analgesia as a predictor for reduced postpartum depression scores: a retrospective observational study.Anesth Analg. 2018; 126: 1598-1605
- Severity of acute pain after childbirth, but not type of delivery, predicts persistent pain and postpartum depression.Pain. 2008; 140: 87-94
- Epidural labor analgesia is associated with a decreased risk of postpartum depression: a prospective cohort study.Anesth Analg. 2014; 119: 383-392
- Neuraxial labour analgesia is associated with a reduced risk of maternal depression at 2 years after childbirth: a multicentre, prospective, longitudinal study.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2019; 36: 745-754
- Epidural analgesia during childbirth and postpartum depressive symptoms: a population-based longitudinal cohort study.Anesth Analg. 2020; 130: 615-624
- The relationship between women's intention to request a labor epidural analgesia, actually delivering with labor epidural analgesia, and postpartum depression at 6 Weeks: a prospective observational study.Anesth Analg. 2018; 126: 1590-1597
- Labor epidural analgesia and the risk of postpartum depression: a meta- analysis of observational studies.J Clin Anesth. 2020; 61109658
- The association between labor epidural analgesia and postpartum depression: a systematic review and meta-analysis.BMC Womens Health. 2020; 20: 99
Prospero: International Prospective Register of Systematic Reviews. Available at: https://crd.york.ac.uk/prospero. Accessed December 1, 2019.
- ROBINS-I: a tool for assessing risk of bias in non-randomised studies of interventions.BMJ. 2016; 355i4919
Higgins JPT, Green S (eds). Chapter 184.108.40.206. Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions Version 5.1.0 [updated March 2011]. The Cochrane Collaboration 2011. Available from www.handbook.cochrane.org. Accessed July 1, 2020.
- Administration of epidural labor analgesia is not associated with a decreased risk of postpartum depression in an urban Canadian population of mothers: a secondary analysis of prospective cohort data.Local Reg Anesth. 2017; 10: 99-104
- Effect of painless labor on postpartum depression.J Obstet Gynecol Cancer Res. 2018; 3: 93-97
- The relationship between labor pain management, cortisol level and risk of postpartum depression development: a prospective nonrandomized observational monocentric trial.Rom J Anaesth Intensive Care. 2018; 25: 123-130
- Labor epidural analgesia and postpartum depression.Arch Depress Anxiety. 2016; 2: 44-46
- Obstetric risk factors for postnatal depression in urban and rural community samples.Aust NZ J Psychiat. 2001; 35: 69-74
- Predictors of postpartum depression: prospective study of 264 women followed during pregnancy and postpartum.Psychiatry Res. 2014; 215: 341-346
- Investigating the association between labour epidural analgesia and postpartum depression: A prospective cohort study.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2020; 37: 796-802
- Does pain relief during delivery decrease the risk of postnatal depression?.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2004; 83: 257-261
- Effect of epidural and combined spinal epidural labour analgesia on the occurrence of postpartum depression: a multicentre cohort study.Br J Anaesth. 2017; 119: e48-e55
- Effect of postpartum practices of doing the month on Chinese women's physical and psychological health.Biol Res Nurs. 2014; 16: 55-63
- Investigating analgesic and psychological factors associated with risk of postpartum depression development: a case-control study.Neuropsychiatr Dis Treat. 2016; 12: 1333-1339
- Association between intrapartum epidural use and maternal postpartum depression presenting for medical care: a population-based, matched cohort study.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2018; 35: 10-16
- An exploratory study of the effect of labor pain management on postpartum depression among Chinese women.Ginekol Pol. 2018; 89: 627-636
- Obstetric and psychological characteristics of women choosing epidural analgesia during labour: a cohort study.PLoS ONE. 2017; 12e0186564
- Predictors of recommendation and acceptance of intrapartum epidural analgesia.Anesth Analg. 2000; 90: 109-113
- A prospective observational study evaluating the ability of prelabor psychological tests to predict labor pain, epidural analgesic consumption, and maternal satisfaction.Anesth Analg. 2014; 119: 632-640
- Maternal characteristics and satisfaction associated with intrapartum epidural analgesia use in Canadian women.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2012; 21: 317-323
- Labor pain in women with and without severe fear of childbirth: a population-based, longitudinal study.Birth. 2018; 45: 469-477
- Predictors of postpartum depression: a comprehensive review of the last decade of evidence.Clin Obstet Gynecol. 2018; 61: 591-603
- Adverse life events, psychiatric history, and biological predictors of postpartum depression in an ethnically diverse sample of postpartum women.Psychol Med. 2018; 48: 1190-1200
- Post-traumatic stress disorder and postpartum depression and their reported association with recent labor and delivery: a questionnaire survey cohort.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2020; 43: 18-24
- Pain management and medical interventions during childbirth among perinatal distressed women and women dissatisfied in their partner relationship: a prospective cohort study.Midwifery. 2019; 69: 1-9
- Postpartum depressive mood (PDM) among Chinese women: a meta-analysis.Arch Womens Ment Health. 2019; 22: 279-287
- The role of traditional confinement practices in determining postpartum depression in women in Chinese cultures: a systematic review of the English language evidence.J Affect Disord. 2009; 116: 161-169
- Traditional postpartum practices and rituals: clinical implications.Can J Psychiatry. 2009; 54: 834-840
- Major neurologic complications associated with postdural puncture headache in obstetrics: a retrospective cohort study.Anesth Analg. 2019; 129: 1328-1336
- Genetic associations of perinatal pain and depression.Mol Pain. 2019; 15: 1-14
- Sensory-affective relationships among different types of clinical and experimental pain.Pain. 1987; 28: 297-307
- Obstetric pain correlates with postpartum depression symptoms: a pilot prospective observational study.BMC Pregnancy Childbirth. 2020; 20: 240