- •Review of 58 cases of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis (CVST) after neuraxial block.
- •Accidental dural puncture (ADP) in 40%; post-dural puncture headache (PDPH) in 79%.
- •A change in nature of headache is a key red-flag symptom of CVST.
- •The reported incidence of ADP and PDPH lend support to their association with CVST.
- •Therapeutic anticoagulation with multidisciplinary input is mainstay of management.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
- Cerebral venous thrombosis associated with pregnancy and puerperium. Review of 67 cases.Stroke. 1993; 24: 1880-1884
- The incidence of pregnancy-related stroke: A systematic review and meta-analysis.Int J Stroke. 2017; 12: 687-697
Knight M, Bunch K, Tuffnell D, et al (Eds.) on behalf of MBRRACE-UK. Saving Lives, Improving Mothers’ Care - Lessons learned to inform maternity care from the UK and Ireland Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths and Morbidity 2014-16. Oxford: National Perinatal Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford 2018.
Centre for Maternal and Child Enquiries (CMACE). Saving Mothers’ Lives: reviewing maternal deaths to make motherhood safer: 2006–08. The Eighth Report on Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths in the United Kingdom. BJOG. 2011;118:1-203.
Knight M, Nair M, Tuffnell D, Shakespeare J, Kenyon S, Kurinczuk JJ (Eds.) on behalf of MBRRACE-UK. Saving Lives, Improving Mothers’ Care - Lessons learned to inform maternity care from the UK and Ireland Confidential Enquiries into Maternal Deaths and Morbidity 2013–15. Oxford: National Perinatal Epidemiology Unit, University of Oxford 2017.
- Postpartum period is a risk factor for cerebral venous thrombosis.Stroke. 2019; 50: 501-503
- Thrombosis of the cerebral veins and sinuses.New Eng J Med. 2005; 352: 1791-1798
Headache Classification Committee of the International Headache Society (IHS). The International Classification of Headache Disorders, 3rd edition. Cephalalgia. 2018;38:1–211.
NMPA Project Team. National maternity and perinatal audit: clinical report 2019. Based on births in NHS maternity services between 1st April 2016 and 31st March 2017. RCOG, London 2019. https://maternityaudit.org.uk/pages/reports. Accessed March 1, 2021.
- Temporal trends in the incidence of post dural puncture headache following labor neuraxial analgesia in the United States, 2006 to 2015.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2021; 45: 90-98
- Dural puncture and activated protein C resistance: risk factors for cerebral venous sinus thrombosis.J Neurol Neurosurg Psychiatry. 1997; 63: 351-356
- Prognosis of cerebral vein and dural sinus thrombosis: results of the International Study on Cerebral Vein and Dural Sinus Thrombosis (ISCVT).Stroke. 2004; 35: 664-670
- Intracranial venous thrombosis in the parturient.Anesthesiology. 2007; 107: 652-658
- CVT in the peripartum period: a diagnostic dilemma.Case Rep Obst Gynecol. 2020; 2020: 7656232
- Postpartum cerebral venous sinus thrombosis after dural puncture and epidural blood patch.J Emerg Med. 2005; 28: 341-342
Bijral N, Qureshi I, Hameed A. A rare cause of postpartum headache. BMJ Case Rep. 2018;p.bcr-2017-223048.
- Seizure after cesarean section with epidural anesthesia: case report.Turk J Anaesthesiol Reanim. 2014; 12: 106-109
- Postpartum dural venous sinus thrombosis after postdural puncture headache and epidural blood patch.Anesthesiology. 1997; 86: 487-490
- Is postpartum headache after epidural anaesthesia always innocent?.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2008; 25: 697-700
- Ipsilateral dural thickening and enhancement: a sign of isolated cortical vein thrombosis? A case report and review of the literature.World Neurosurg. 2016; 90: 706e11-706e14
- Sinus venous thrombosis following central neuraxial block: A difficult and often late differential diagnosis of postpartum headache.J Clin Anesth. 2018; 47: 52-53
- Delayed subdural haematoma complicated by abducens nerve palsy and cortical vein thrombosis after obstetric epidural anaesthesia.Br J Anaesth. 2012; 108: 705-706
- Cortical vein thrombosis may mimic postdural puncture headache.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 1987; 12: 188-190
- Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis following accidental dural puncture and epidural blood patch.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2008; 17: 267-270
- Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis.JSM Intern Med. 2017; 2: 1003-1007
- Dural puncture headache, postpartum angiopathy, pre-eclampsia and cortical vein thrombosis after an uncomplicated pregnancy.Cephalalgia. 2007; 27: 461-464
- Cerebral sinus thrombosis secondary to epidural anaesthesia.Pak J Neurol Sci. 2013; 8: 10-12
- Intracranial hypotension and venous sinus thrombosis: two postpartum headaches.Postgrad Med J. 2011; 87: 571-572
- Peripartum isolated cortical vein thrombosis in a mother with postdural puncture headache treated with an epidural blood patch.J Med Case Rep. 2013; 2013: 1-3
Monsalve GA, Ortega R, Rueda-Acevedo M. Multiple dural sinus thrombosis: a differential diagnosis of a postpuncture headache in a puerperal patient. Neurol India. 2006;54 447-448.
- Three cerebral venous sinus thromboses following inadvertent dural puncture: a case series over an eight-year period.Can J Anesth. 2014; 61: 1134-1135
- Cerebral venous thrombosis after a possible inadvertent dural puncture for labor epidural analgesia.Cureus. 2019; 11e4822
- Case report: postpartum cerebral venous thrombosis misdiagnosed as post dural puncture headache.BMC Anesthesiol. 2020; 20: 80
- Postpartum cortical venous thrombosis: an unusual presentation of post dural puncture headache.J Obstet Anaesth Crit Care. 2016; 6: 95-97
- Postpartum headache following regional analgesia; a symptom of cerebral venous thrombosis.Can J Anesth. 1989; 36: 705-707
- Idiopathic cerebral cortical venous thrombosis in pregnancy.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2003; 23: 561-575
- Unrecognised dural puncture resulting in subdural hygroma and cortical vein thrombosis.Anaesthesia. 2010; 65: 70-73
- Postpartum headache after epidural blood patch: investigation and diagnosis.Br J Anaesth. 2000; 84: 407-410
- Postural headache in the presence of cerebral venous sinus thrombosis.Anesth Analg. 2005; 101: 1499-1500
- Postpartum seizures after epidural analgesia: a patient with a mutation of the factor V Leiden and prothrombin gene.J Clin Anesth. 2007; 19: 549-550
- Sinus venous thrombosis: a differential diagnosis of postpartum headache.Arch Gynecol Obstet. 2012; 285: 93-97
- Isolated cortical vein thrombosis after epidural anesthesia: report of three cases.Int J Neurosci. 2010; 120: 447-450
- Maternal cortical vein thrombosis and the obstetric anesthesiologist.Anesth Analg. 1986; 65: 1007-1012
- Simultaneous appearance of cerebral venous thrombosis and subdural hematomas as rare cause of headache in puerperium following epidural analgesia: a case report.Croat Med J. 2012; 53: 379-385
- A case of postpartum lateral sinus thrombosis following cesarean section under spinal anesthesia.J Anaesth Clin Pharmacol. 2016; 32: 274-275
- Cerebral sinus venous thrombosis in puerperium: Review of the literature in the light of two cases.Cumhur Med J. 2015; 37: 61-64
- Dural puncture: an overlooked cause of cerebral venous thrombosis.Acta Neurol Belg. 2015; 115: 53-57
- Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis after regional anesthesia in a patient with severe preeclampsia - a diagnostic challenge.Anaesth Pain Intensive Care. 2018; 22: 380-382
- Seizure in pregnancy following cerebral venous sinus thrombosis.Anesth Pain Med. 2015; 5e26866
- Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis: two case presentations with different clinical manifestations and multifactorial etiology.Open Sci J. 2017; 2: 1-16
- Post dural puncture headache treated with steroids progressing to cerebral venous sinus thrombosis in a postpartum female: a case report.J Obstet Anaesth Crit Care. 2016; 6: 101-103
- Case report: cerebral vein thrombosis after subarachnoid analgesia for labour.Can J Anesth. 2006; 53: 1015-1019
Kate MP, Thomas B, Sylaja PN. Cerebral venous thrombosis in post-lumbar puncture intracranial hypotension: case report and review of literature. F1000Research. 2014;3:41.
- Postcesarean subarachnoid hemorrhage as the initial presentation of cerebral venous thrombosis.Taiwan J Obstet Gynecol. 2007; 46: 317-319
- Post caesarean sagittal sinus thrombosis after spinal anaesthesia: a case report.Ind Anaesth Forum. 2010; 4: 1-5
- Cerebral venous thrombosis initially considered as a complication of spinal-epidural anaesthesia.J Int Med Res. 2005; 33: 711-714
- Peripartum isolated cortical venous thrombosis.Anaesth Cases. 2014; 2: 45-49
- Isolated cortical venous thrombosis associated with intracranial hypotension syndrome.Headache. 2009; 49: 916-919
Gonen KA, Taskapilioglu O, Dusak A, Hakyemez B. Persistent headache in a postpartum patient: the investigation and management. BMJ Case Rep. 2013;2013:bcr2013009931.
- Cerebral venous thrombosis complicating severe preeclampsia in the postpartum period: a diagnostic challenge.J Clin Anesth. 2014; 26: 143-146
- Clinical profile of cerebral venous thrombosis in pregnancy and puerperium in South India.Int J Reprod Contracept Obstet Gynecol. 2017; 6: 3124-3128
- Cerebral venous sinus thrombosis in pregnancy and puerperium: a pooled, systematic review.J Clin Neurosci. 2017; 39: 9-15
- Major neurologic complications associated with postdural puncture headache in obstetrics: a retrospective cohort study.Anesth Analg. 2019; 129: 1328-1336
- Cerebral venous thrombosis: a practical guide.Pract Neurol. 2020; 20: 356-367
- Cerebral venous thrombosis and thrombophilia: a systematic review and meta-analysis.Sem Thromb Hemost. 2013; 39: 913-927
- The Monro-Kellie hypothesis: applications in CSF volume depletion.Neurology. 2001; 56: 1746-1748
- Lumbar puncture and dural sinus thrombosis–a causal or casual association?.Cerebrovas Dis. 2005; 19: 53-56
- Cerebral venous thrombosis in spontaneous intracranial hypotension.Headache. 2008; 48: 1511-1519
- Magnetic resonance imaging of cerebrospinal fluid spread in the epidural space correlates with the severity of postdural puncture headache in obstetric patients: A proof-of-concept study.Eur J Anaesthesiol. 2021; 38: 777-784
- The association between labour epidural case volume and the rate of accidental dural puncture.Anaesthesia. 2021; 76: 1060-1067
- Ten years of experience with accidental dural puncture and post-dural puncture headache in a tertiary obstetric anaesthesia department.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2008; 17: 329-335
- Clinical characteristics and prognosis of cerebral venous thrombosis in Chinese women during pregnancy and puerperium.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 43866
- Post-dural puncture headache: pathogenesis, prevention and treatment.Br J Anaesth. 2003; 91: 718-729
- Atypical headache following dural puncture in obstetrics.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2014; 23: 246-252
- Headache patterns in cerebral venous sinus thrombosis.J Neurosci Rural Pract. 2017; 8: S072-S77
- Incidence and pattern of headache in cerebral venous thrombosis.J Pak Med Assoc. 2006; 56: 561-564
- Headache in cerebral venous thrombosis: incidence, pattern and location in 200 consecutive patients.J Head Pain. 2010; 11: 137-139
- Treatment of obstetric post-dural puncture headache. Part 2: epidural blood patch.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2019; 38: 104-118
- European Stroke Organization guideline for the diagnosis and treatment of cerebral venous thrombosis – endorsed by the European Academy of Neurology.Eur J Neurol. 2017; 24: 1203-1213