- •The obstetric comorbidity index (OB-CMI) is a composite measure of comorbidities.
- •OB-CMI predicts maternal morbidity, mortality, and intensive care unit admission.
- •There is a move to decrease general anesthesia (GA) for cesarean delivery.
- •This study found an association between OB-CMI and GA for cesarean delivery.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
FastStats. https://www.cdc.gov/nchs/fastats/delivery.htm. Accessed March 23, 2020.
- A contemporary analysis of medicolegal issues in obstetric anesthesia between 2005 and 2015.Anesth Analg. 2019; 128: 1199-1207https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000003395
- Adverse events and factors associated with potentially avoidable use of general anesthesia in cesarean deliveries.Anesthesiology. 2019; 130: 912-922https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000002629
- Exposure to general anesthesia for cesarean delivery and odds of severe postpartum depression requiring hospitalization.Anesth Analg. 2020; 131: 1421-1429https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000004663
- General anesthesia for cesarean section at a tertiary care hospital 1990–1995: indications and implications.Int J Obstet Anesth. 1998; 7: 147-152https://doi.org/10.1016/s0959-289x(98)80001-0
- General anesthesia for cesarean delivery at a tertiary care hospital from 2000 to 2005: a retrospective analysis and 10-year update.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2011; 20: 10-16https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2010.07.002
- Risk factors for failed conversion of labor epidural analgesia to cesarean delivery anesthesia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational trials.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2012; 21: 294-309https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2012.05.007
- Anesthesiologist specialization and use of general anesthesia for cesarean delivery.Anesthesiology. 2019; 130: 237-246https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000002534
- Quality improvement in obstetric anaesthesia.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2018; 35: 1-3https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2018.03.009
- Collecting data for quality improvement in obstetric anaesthesia.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2019; 39: 142-143https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2019.02.008
- General anaesthesia for caesarean section.Contin Educ Anaesth Crit Care Pain. 2009; 9: 148-151https://doi.org/10.1093/bjaceaccp/mkp025
- When was the last time you induced general anesthesia for cesarean section?.J Anesth. 2015; 29: 819-820https://doi.org/10.1007/s00540-015-1985-0
- Choice of anesthesia for cesarean delivery: an analysis of the National Anesthesia Clinical Outcomes Registry.Anesth Analg. 2017; 124: 1914-1917https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000001677
- Development of a comorbidity index for use in obstetric patients.Obstet Gynecol. 2013; 122: 957-965https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0b013e3182a603bb
- Validation of an obstetric comorbidity index in an external population.BJOG. 2015; 122: 1748-1755https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0528.13254
- A comorbidity-based screening tool to predict severe maternal morbidity at the time of delivery.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 221: 271.e1-271.e10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ajog.2019.06.025
- Validation of a comorbidity index for use in obstetric patients: a nationwide cohort study.Acta Obstet Gynecol Scand. 2020; 99: 399-405https://doi.org/10.1111/aogs.13749
Classification of Urgency of Caesarean Section – a Continuum of Risk (Good Practice No. 11). Royal College of Obstetricians & Gynaecologists. https://www.rcog.org.uk/en/guidelines-research-services/guidelines/good-practice-11/. Accessed January 25, 2020.
- Urgency of caesarean section: a new classification.J R Soc Med. 2000; 93: 346-350https://doi.org/10.1177/014107680009300703
- Assessment of a modified four-category classification of urgency of caesarean section.J Obstet Gynaecol. 2009; 29: 110-113https://doi.org/10.1080/01443610802585546
Yang D, Dalton J.E. A unified approach to measuring the effect size between two groups using SAS. SAS Global Forum, 2012. Available at: http://support.sas.com/resources/papers/proceedings12/335-2012.pdf.
- Using the standardized difference to compare the prevalence of a binary variable between two groups in observational research.Commun Stat Simul Comput. 2009; 38: 1228-1234
- The receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve.Southwest Respir Crit Care Chron. 2017; 5: 34-36https://doi.org/10.12746/swrccc.v5i19.391
- Obstetric Anaesthetists’ Association/National Perinatal Epidemiology Unit collaborative project to develop key indicators for quality of care in obstetric anaesthesia: first steps in the right direction.Anaesthesia. 2020; 75: 573-575https://doi.org/10.1111/anae.14935
- Cross-disciplinary perceptions of structured interprofessional rounds in promoting teamwork within an academic tertiary care obstetric unit.Anesth Analg. 2017; 124: 1968-1977https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000001890
- Increased maternal body mass index is associated with prolonged anaesthetic and surgical times for caesarean delivery but is partially offset by clinician seniority and established epidural analgesia.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2021; 61: 394-402https://doi.org/10.1111/ajo.13277
- Obesity and obstetric anaesthesia.Anaesthesia. 2006; 61: 36-48https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2044.2005.04433.x
Practice Guidelines for Obstetric Anesthesia: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Obstetric Anesthesia and the Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology. Anesthesiology 2016;124:270–300. doi: 10.1097/ALN.0000000000000935.
- A systematic review of the impact of surgical special care units on patient outcomes and healthcCare resource utilization.Anesth Analg. 2019; 128: 533-542https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000003942
- The identification of key indicators to drive quality improvement in obstetric anaesthesia: results of the Obstetric Anaesthetists’ Association/National Perinatal Epidemiology Unit collaborative Delphi project.Anaesthesia. 2020; 75: 617-625https://doi.org/10.1111/anae.14861
- Racial and ethnic disparities in mode of anesthesia for cesarean delivery.Anesth Analg. 2016; 122: 472-479https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000000679