- •Noncompaction predisposes to arrhythmias, hemodynamic instability and heart failure.
- •Sequential combined spinal-epidural anesthesia is ideal for these parturients.
- •Coordination is key to managing noncompaction patients during labor and delivery.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
- Echocardiographic and pathoanatomical characteristics of isolated left ventricular noncompaction: a step towards classification as a distinct cardiomyopathy.Heart. 2001; 86: 666-671https://doi.org/10.1136/heart.86.6.666
- Isolated noncompaction of left ventricular myocardium. A study of eight cases.Circulation. 1990; 82: 507-513https://doi.org/10.1161/01.cir.82.2.507
- Refinement of echocardiographic criteria for left ventricular noncompaction.Int J Cardiol. 2013; 165: 463-467https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijcard.2011.08.845
- Left ventricular noncompaction: insights from cardiovascular magnetic resonance imaging.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2005; 46: 101-105https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2005.03.045
- Left ventricular noncompaction: imaging findings and diagnostic criteria.AJR Am J Roentgenol. 2015; 204: W519-W530https://doi.org/10.2214/AJR.13.12326
- noncompaction cardiomyopathy in pregnancy: a case report of spongy myocardium in both mother and foetus and systematic review of literature.J Matern Fetal Neonatal Med. 2021; 34: 2910-2917https://doi.org/10.1080/14767058.2019.1671337
- 2018 ESC guidelines for the management of cardiovascular diseases during pregnancy.Eur Heart J. 2018; 39: 3165-3241https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehy340
- Predictors of pregnancy complications in women with congenital heart disease.Eur Heart J. 2010; 31: 2124-2132https://doi.org/10.1093/eurheartj/ehq200
- Pregnancy outcomes in women with heart disease: the CARPREG II study.J Am Coll Cardiol. 2018; 71: 2419-2430https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jacc.2018.02.076
- Left ventricular noncompaction mimicking peripartum cardiomyopathy.J Am Soc of Echocardiogr. 2007; 20: e1009-e1012https://doi.org/10.1016/j.echo.2007.01.017
- Cardiomyopathy phenotypes and pregnancy outcomes with left ventricular noncompaction cardiomyopathy.Int Heart J. 2018; 59: 862-867https://doi.org/10.1536/ihj.17-336
- Regional anesthesia in the patient receiving antithrombotic or thrombolytic therapy: American Society of Regional Anesthesia and Pain Medicine evidence-based guidelines (Fourth Edition).Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2018; 43: 263-309https://doi.org/10.1097/AAP.0000000000000763
- The Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology consensus statement on the anesthetic management of pregnant and postpartum women receiving thromboprophylaxis or higher dose anticoagulants.Anesth Analg. 2018; 126: 928-944https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000002530
Practice advisory for the perioperative management of patients with cardiac implantable electronic devices: pacemakers and implantable cardioverter–defibrillators 2020: an updated report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists task force on perioperative management of patients with cardiac implantable electronic devices. Anesthesiology 2020;132:225–52. https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000003217.
- Management of implantable cardioverter-defibrillators during pregnancy- a systematic review.J Clin Med. 2021; 10: 1675https://doi.org/10.3390/jcm10081675
- ACOG practice bulletin No. 212: pregnancy and heart disease.Obstet Gynecol. 2019; 133: e320-e356https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0000000000003243
- Obstetric anesthesia management of the patient with cardiac disease.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2019; 37: 73-85https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2018.09.011
- Obstetric anesthesia and heart disease: practical clinical considerations.Anesthesiology. 2021; 135: 164-183https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000003833
- Labor epidural analgesia without an intravascular “test dose”.Anesthesiology. 1998; 88: 1495-1501https://doi.org/10.1097/00000542-199806000-00012
- Cardiovascular alterations in the parturient undergoing cesarean delivery with neuraxial anesthesia.Expert Rev Obstet Gynecol. 2012; 7: 59-75https://doi.org/10.1586/eog.11.79
- Low-dose sequential combined spinal-epidural: an anaesthetic technique for caesarean section in patients with significant cardiac disease.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2005; 14: 355-361https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2005.01.001
- International consensus statement on the management of hypotension with vasopressors during caesarean section under spinal anaesthesia.Anaesthesia. 2018; 73: 71-92https://doi.org/10.1111/anae.14080
- Recurrence rates of arrhythmias during pregnancy in women with previous tachyarrhythmia and impact on fetal and neonatal outcomes.Am J Cardiol. 2006; 97: 1206-1212https://doi.org/10.1016/j.amjcard.2005.11.041
- Management of supraventricular tachycardia in pregnancy.Pain Med. 2020; 21: 426-428https://doi.org/10.1093/pm/pnz330
- cute therapy of maternal and fetal arrhythmias during pregnancy.J Intensive Care Med. 2006; 21: 305-315https://doi.org/10.1177/0885066606291433
- Effects of amiodarone administration during pregnancy on neonatal thyroid function and subsequent neurodevelopment.J Endocrinol Invest. 2001; 24: 116-130https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03343825
- Cardiac arrest in pregnancy: a scientific statement from the American Heart Association.Circulation. 2015; 132: 1747-1773https://doi.org/10.1161/CIR.0000000000000300