- •Up to 13% of labor epidural catheters fail and require replacement.
- •Retrospective study of 19 123 labor neuraxial analgesia procedures.
- •Dural puncture epidural (DPE) was compared with lumbar epidural analgesia (LEA).
- •DPE was associated with fewer failures than LEA.
- •DPE catheters failed significantly later than those placed for LEA.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
- Epidural and spinal analgesia: anesthesia for labor and vaginal delivery.in: Chestnut D.H. Wong C.A. Tsen L.C. Chestnut’s obstetric. Anesthesia principles and practice. Elsevier, Philadelphia, PA2019: 474-539
- Combined spinal-epidural versus epidural analgesia for labor and delivery.Clin Perinatol. 2013; 40: 373-384https://doi.org/10.1016/j.clp.2013.05.010
- Combined spinal-epidural versus epidural analgesia in labour.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2012; 2012https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003401.pub3
- A systematic review of dural puncture epidural analgesia for labor.J Clin Anesth. 2019; 53: 5-10https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclinane.2018.09.030
- Incidence of epidural catheter replacement in parturients: a retrospective chart review.Int J Obstet Anesth. 1998; 7: 220-225https://doi.org/10.1016/S0959-289X(98)80042-3
- Incidence and characteristics of failures in obstetric neuraxial analgesia and anesthesia: a retrospective analysis of 19,259 deliveries.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2004; 13: 227-233https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2004.04.008
- Combined spinal epidural technique for labor analgesia does not delay recognition of epidural catheter failures.Anesthesiology. 2016; 125: 516-524https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000001222
- Risk factors for failed conversion of labor epidural analgesia to cesarean delivery anesthesia: a systematic review and meta-analysis of observational trials.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2012; 21: 294-309https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2012.05.007
- Catheter failure rates and time course with epidural versus combined spinal-epidural analgesia in labor.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2016; 26: 4-7https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2016.01.004
- Epidural analgesia compared with combined spinal–epidural analgesia during labor in nulliparous women.N Engl J Med. 1997; 337: 1715-1719https://doi.org/10.1056/nejm199712113372402
- Dural puncture epidural versus conventional epidural block for labor analgesia: a systematic review of randomized controlled trials.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2019; 40: 24-31https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2019.05.007
- Strengthening the reporting of observational studies in epidemiology (strobe): explanation and elaboration.PLoS Med. 2007; 4: e297https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pmed.0040297
- Intrathecal morphine reduces breakthrough pain during labour epidural analgesia.Br J Anaesth. 2007; 98: 241-245https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/ael346
- Predictors of breakthrough pain during labor epidural analgesia.Anesth Analg. 2001; 93: 414-418https://doi.org/10.1213/00000539-200108000-00036
- Labor analgesia onset with dural puncture epidural versus traditional epidural using a 26-gauge Whitacre needle and 0.125% bupivacaine bolus: a randomized clinical trial.Anesth Analg. 2018; 126: 545-551https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000002129
- Dural puncture epidural technique improves labor analgesia quality with fewer side effects compared with epidural and combined spinal epidural techniques.Anesth Analg. 2017; 124: 560-569https://doi.org/10.1213/ANE.0000000000001798
- A comprehensive update on the treatment and management of postdural puncture headache.Curr Pain Headache Rep. 2020; 24: 24https://doi.org/10.1007/s11916-020-00860-0
- A ten-year retrospective study of post-dural puncture headache in 32,655 obstetric patients.Can J Anesth. 2019; 66: 1464-1471https://doi.org/10.1007/s12630-019-01486-6
- Radiographic evidence of an epidural and paraspinal abscess after lumbar epidural steroid injection.Glob J Anesth Pain Med. 2020; 2: 188-190
- Greater occipital nerve blocks for the treatment of postdural puncture headache after labor epidural.Saudi J Anaesth. 2020; 14: 262https://doi.org/10.4103/sja.SJA_632_19
- Post dural puncture headache following combined spinal epidural or epidural anaesthesia in obstetric patients.Anaesth Intensive Care. 2001; 29: 595-599https://doi.org/10.1177/0310057X0102900605
- Incidences and risk factors for post–dural puncture headache after neuraxial anaesthesia: a national inpatient database study in Japan.Anaesth Intensive Care. 2020; 48: 381-388https://doi.org/10.1177/0310057X20949555