- •Survey regarding oral intake in labor in units in Israel.
- •Practices varied between disciplines, midwives were significantly more permissive.
- •Women received conflicting recommendations.
- •There is a lack of awareness of the risks associated with oral intake in labor.
- •There is a need for standardized guidelines and patient risk stratification.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
- The aspiration of stomach contents into the lungs during obstetric anesthesia.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 1946; 52: 191-206https://doi.org/10.1016/s0002-9378(16)39829-5
- Peripartum changes in gastric emptying.Anaesthesia. 1992; 47: 196-198https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2044.1992.tb02116.x
- Oral intake policies on labor and delivery: a national survey.J Clin Anesth. 1998; 10: 449-451https://doi.org/10.1016/s0952-8180(98)00054-3
- Restrictions on oral and parenteral intake for low risk labouring women in hospitals across Canada: a cross-sectional study.J Obstet Gynaecol Can. 2016; 38: 1009-1014https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jogc.2016.08.003
The Royal Society of Medicine Journals. Confidential enquiry into maternal and child health (CEMACH). Saving mothers’ lives: reviewing maternal deaths to make motherhood safer 2003–2005. The seventh report of the confidential enquiries into maternal deaths in the UK. Obstet Med. 2008;1:54.
- Women's view on fasting during labor in a tertiary care obstetric unit. A prospective cohort study.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 2020; 253: 25-30https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejogrb.2020.07.041
- Food and beverages in labor. Part i: cross-cultural and historical practices.Birth. 1988; 15: 81-85https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1523-536x.1988.tb00811.x
ACOG Committee Opinion No. 441: Oral intake during labor. Obstet Gynecol. 2009;114:714. https://doi.org/10.1097/AOG.0b013e3181ba0649.
Practice Guidelines for Obstetric Anesthesia: An Updated Report by the American Society of Anesthesiologists Task Force on Obstetric Anesthesia and the Society for Obstetric Anesthesia and Perinatology. Anesthesiology. 2016;124:270-300. https://doi.org/10.1097/ALN.0000000000000935.
Care in normal birth: a practical guide. Technical Working Group, World Health Organization. Birth. 1997;24:121-123.
Society of Obstetricians and Gynaecologists of Canada. Healthy beginnings: guidelines for care during pregnancy and childbirth. SOGC Clinical Practice Guidelines. 1998;72.
Israel Society of Anesthesiologists, Clinical Guidelines, 2019.
Singata M, Tranmer J, Gyte GM. Restricting oral fluid and food intake during labour. Cochrane Database Syst Rev 2013;8:CD003930. https://doi.org/10.1002/14651858.CD003930.pub3.
- Policies for oral intake in labour.Anaesthesia. 1991; 46: 1071-1073https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2044.1991.tb09928.x
- Aspects of food and fluid intake during labour: policies of midwives and obstetricians in the Netherlands.Eur J Obstet Gynecol Reprod Biol. 1998; 78: 37-40https://doi.org/10.1016/s0301-2115(98)00007-4
- A 10-year update: national survey questionnaire of obstetric anesthesia units in Israel.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2019; 38: 83-92https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2018.10.014
- A midwifery practice dichotomy on oral intake in labour.Midwifery. 2014; 20: 72-81https://doi.org/10.1016/S0266-6138(03)00055-X
- Maternal outcomes in women supplemented with a high-protein drink in labour.Aust N Z J Obstet Gynaecol. 2013; 53: 369-374https://doi.org/10.1111/ajo.12079
- An evaluation of isotonic “sport drinks” during labor.Anesth Analg. 2002; 94: 404-408https://doi.org/10.1097/00000539-200202000-00033
- A comparison of the effect of intrathecal and extradural fentanyl on gastric emptying in laboring women.Anesth Analg. 1997; 85: 834-838https://doi.org/10.1097/00000539-199710000-00022
- Tolerable pain reduces gastric fundal accommodation and gastric motility in healthy subjects: a crossover ultrasonographic study.Biopsychosoc Med. 2017; 1: 4https://doi.org/10.1186/s13030-017-0089-5
- Policy or tradition: oral intake in labour.Aust J Midwifery. 2001; 3: 6-12https://doi.org/10.1016/s1445-4386(01)80017-3