- •VIPoma is a rare neuroendocrine tumour with multisystem effects.
- •A multidisciplinary approach to management in a specialist centre is vital.
- •Management of electrolytes and avoidance of triggers for VIP secretion are key.
- •Reduce large changes in sympathetic tone during labour with epidural analgesia.
- •Administration of a somatostatin analogue inhibits VIP secretion.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
- Neuroendocrine tumour syndromes.in: Larry Jameson J. de Kretser D.M. Grossman A.B. Potts J.T. De Groot L.J. Giudice L.C. Melmed S. Weir G.C. Endocrinology: Adult and Pediatric. Saunders, Philadelphia2016: 2612
BMJ Best Practice. VIPoma. Available at: https://bestpractice.bmj.com/topics/en-gb/876;%202022. Accessed March 23, 2022.
- Hormones and the gut.Br J Anaesth. 2000; 85: 58-68https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/85.1.58
- Prostaglandin E2 potentiates the immunologically stimulated histamine release from human peripheral blood-derived mast cells through EP1/EP3 receptors.Allergy. 2006; 61: 503-506https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1398-9995.2006.01043.x
National Institute for Health and Care Excellence. British National Formulary. Octreotide. Available at: https://bnf.nice.org.uk/drugs/octreotide/#breast-feeding. Accessed April 2, 2022.
- Pancreatic neuroendocrine tumour in pregnancy - diagnosis and treatment management.Chir (Rom). 2019; 114: 550-563https://doi.org/10.21614/chirurgia.114.5.550
- Gut and pancreatic neuroendocrine tumors in pregnancy and lactation.in: Kovacs C.S. Deal C.L. Maternal-Fetal and Neonatal Endocrinology. Elsevier Inc, Canada2020: 411-416
- Guidelines for the management of gastro-enteropancreatic neuroendocrine (including carcinoid) tumours (NETs).Gut. 2012; 61: 6-32https://doi.org/10.1136/gutjnl-2011-300831
- Perioperative hypotensive crisis in an adolescent with a pancreatic VIPoma and MEN1-gene variant.Horm Res Paediatr. 2019; 9: 285-289https://doi.org/10.1159/000493396
- Anaphylaxis.BJA Educ. 2004; 4: 111-113https://doi.org/10.1093/bjaceaccp/mkh035