- •“Can’t oxygenate” is a rare obstetric airway complication.
- •Surgical cricothyroidotomy is also a rare obstetric airway intervention.
- •Enabling factors ensure adequate preparation to undertake an emergency task.
- •Enabling factors ensure the ability to implement and execute an emergency task.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
Ministry of Health. 2018. Diagnosis and Treatment of Hypertension and Pre-eclampsia in Pregnancy in New Zealand: A clinical practice guideline. Wellington: Ministry of Health. https://www.health.govt.nz/system/files/documents/publications/diagnosis-and-treatment-of-hypertension-and-pre-eclampsia-in-pregnancy-in-new-zealand-v3.pdf. Accessed October 10, 2022.
- Can we OPTIMISE our management of the obstetric airway? Experience of failed and difficult intubation in a New Zealand tertiary centre.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2017; 31
- Emergency surgical cricothyroidotomy: 24 successful cases leading to a simple 'scalpel-finger-tube' method.Emerg Med Australas. 2012; 24: 23-30
- Obstetric Anaesthetists' Association and Difficult Airway Society guidelines for the management of difficult and failed tracheal intubation in obstetrics.Anaesthesia. 2015; 70: 1286-1306
- Human factors and the 'next generation' airway trolley.Anaesthesia. 2019; 74: 427-433
Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists. Guideline on equipment to manage a difficult airway during anaesthesia. https://www.anzca.edu.au/getattachment/02fe1a4c-14f0-4ad1-8337-c281d26bfa17/PS56-Guideline-on-equipment-to-manage-a-difficult-airway-during-anaesthesia#page=. Accessed January 9, 2022.
- General anaesthetic and airway management practice for obstetric surgery in England: a prospective, multicentre observational study.Anaesthesia. 2021; 76: 460-471
- Comparison of videolaryngoscopy and direct laryngoscopy for tracheal intubation in obstetrics: a mixed-methods systematic review and meta-analysis.Can J Anaesth. 2021; 68: 546-565
- Videolaryngoscopy versus direct laryngoscopy for adult patients requiring tracheal intubation: a Cochrane Systematic Review.Br J Anaesth. 2017; 119: 369-383
- A randomised comparison of C-MAC™ and King Vision® videolaryngoscopes with direct laryngoscopy in 180 obstetric patients.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2019; 39: 35-41
- Rescue supraglottic airway devices at caesarean delivery: what are the options to consider?.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2020; 42: 65-75
- The Vortex: a universal 'high-acuity implementation tool' for emergency airway management.Br J Anaesth. 2016; 117: i20-i27
Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists. Transition from supraglottic to infraglottic rescue in the “can’t intubate can’t oxygenate” (CICO) scenario. Nov;2014. https://libguides.anzca.edu.au/ld.php?content_id=48540794. Accessed October 11, 2020.
Australian and New Zealand College of Anaesthetists. Standards for Can’t Intubate Can’t Oxygenate (CICO) education sessions. Sep, 2020. From: https://www.anzca.edu.au/getattachment/eef6dd32-fe98-4230-8e2f-b32f20cdab30/CPD-Appendix-12-CICO-Guidelines-Education-Sessions. Accessed January 9, 2022.
- Failed tracheal intubation during obstetric general anaesthesia: a literature review.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2015; 24: 356-374
- General anesthesia for cesarean delivery at a tertiary care hospital from 2000 to 2005: a retrospective analysis and 10-year update.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2011; 20: 10-16
- Difficult airway with HELLP syndrome.Int J Infertility Fetal Med. 2012; 3: 65-67
- Pharyngolaryngeal edema as a presenting symptom in preeclampsia.Obstet Gynecol. 1983; 62: 523-525
World Federation of Societies of Anaesthesiologists. Bordoni L, Parsons K, Rucklidge MWM. Obstetric Airway Management. Anaesthesia Tutorial of the Week (393) December 2018. From: https://resources.wfsahq.org/wp-content/uploads/393_english.pdf. Accessed January 9, 2022.
- General anaesthesia in obstetrics.BJA Ed. 2020; 20: 201-207