Accidental subdural catheterisation is a complication of epidural analgesia with an incidence of 0.02–0.82%.
- Lubenow T.
- Keh-Wong E.
- Kristof K.
- Ivankovich O.
- Ivankovich A.D.
Inadvertent subdural injection: a complication of an epidural block.
Anesth Analg. 1988; 67: 175-179
2The clinical presentation is usually heterogenous due to the anatomic variability of the dissection plane and the pattern of spread of local anaesthetic.
- Jenkins J.
Some immediate serious complications of obstetric epidural analgesia and anaesthesia: a prospective study of 145 550 epidurals.
Int J Obstet Anesth. 2005; 14: 37-42https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2004.07.009
3We report a case of total spinal anaesthesia following unrecognised subdural catheter placement during labour.
- Hoftman N.N.
- Ferrante F.M.
Diagnosis of unintentional subdural anesthesia/analgesia: analyzing radiographically proven cases to define the clinical entity and to develop a diagnostic algorithm.
Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2009; 34: 12-16https://doi.org/10.1097/AAP.0b013e31819339cf
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Inadvertent subdural injection: a complication of an epidural block.Anesth Analg. 1988; 67: 175-179
- Some immediate serious complications of obstetric epidural analgesia and anaesthesia: a prospective study of 145 550 epidurals.Int J Obstet Anesth. 2005; 14: 37-42https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijoa.2004.07.009
- Diagnosis of unintentional subdural anesthesia/analgesia: analyzing radiographically proven cases to define the clinical entity and to develop a diagnostic algorithm.Reg Anesth Pain Med. 2009; 34: 12-16https://doi.org/10.1097/AAP.0b013e31819339cf
- Sudden onset of subarachnoid block after subdural catheterization: a case of arachnoid rupture?.BJA. 1996; 76: 322-324https://doi.org/10.1093/bja/76.2.322
- Differential flow from multihole epidural catheters.Anaesthesia. 1988; 43: 876-878https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2044.1988.tb05605.x
- The CAPS Study: incidence, management and outcomes of cardiac arrest in pregnancy in the UK: a prospective, descriptive study.BJOG. 2017; 124: 1374-1381https://doi.org/10.1111/1471-0528.14521
- Recommendations for standards of monitoring during anaesthesia and recovery 2021: Guideline from the Association of Anaesthetists.Anaesthesia. 2021; 76: 1212-1223https://doi.org/10.1111/anae.15501
Published online: December 23, 2022
Accepted: December 17, 2022
© 2022 Elsevier Ltd. All rights reserved.