This paper is only available as a PDF. To read, Please Download here.
This report describes a case of isolated postpartum seizures, in an apparently healthy woman who had suffered an accidental dural puncture during epidural analgesia for labour, and was on caffeine for relief of post-dural puncture headache. Investigation failed to determine the aetiology of the seizures. The possible contribution of dural puncture and caffeine toxicity are discussed.
To read this article in full you will need to make a payment
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia
Already a print subscriber? Claim online access
Already an online subscriber? Sign in
Register: Create an account
Institutional Access: Sign in to ScienceDirect
- Postpartum eclampsia: a recurring perinatal dilemma.Obstet Gynecol. 1990; 76: 328-331
- The late postpartum eclampsia controversy.Obstet Gynecol. 1980; 55: 74-78
- Spinal anaesthesia revisited: an evaluation of subarachnoid block in obstetrics.Anaesth Intensive Care. 1984; 12: 334-342
- Postdural puncture headache or incipient eclampsia.International Journal of Obstetric Anesthesia. 1991; 1: 33-34
- Subdural hematomas after lumbar dural puncture.Anesthesiology. 1980; 52: 166-167
- Postpartum seizure after epidural blood patch and intravenous caffeine sodium benzoate.Anesthesiology. 1989; 70: 146-149
- Seizures following post dural puncture headache in postpartum women: a series with suggested etiology (abstract).Anesthesiology. 1991; 75: A851
- The relation of cerebral blood flow to post dural puncture headache (abstract).Anesthesiology. 1994; 81: A1168
- Reactions after spinal anesthesia.JAMA. 1944; 124: 56-57
- Post-spinal anesthesia headache treated with caffeine. I. Evaluation with demand method.Current Therapeutic Research. 1978; 24: 307-312
- An alternative treatment for spinal headache.J Fam Pract. 1982; 15: 172-177
Jarvis A P, Greenwalt J W, Fagraeus L. Intravenous caffeine for postdural puncture headache (letter). Anesth Analg 1986; 65: 316–317.
- Should caffeine become the first-line treatment for post-dural puncture headache?.Anesth Analg. 1987; 67 (letter): 913-914
- Dural taps revisited.Anaesthesia. 1993; 48: 247-255
- Intravenous caffeine as a treatment for post-dural puncture headaches: will it replace the epidural blood patch?.Anesth Analg. 1993; 76 (abstract): S207
- Effects of oral caffeine on post-dural puncture headache.Anesth Analg. 1990; 70: 181-184
- The efficacy of multi-dose oral caffeine in prevention of post-dural puncture headache (abstract).Reg Anesth. 1994; 19: 79
- Does prophylactic intramuscular caffeine sodium benzoate decrease incidence of post-dural puncture headache?.Reg Anesth. 1990; 15 (abstract) (S): 15
- The health consequences of caffeine.Ann Intern Med. 1983; 98: 641-653
- The benzodiazepines and inosine antagonise caffeine-induced seizures.Psychopharmacology. 1981; 72: 269-273
- Coincidence of seizure susceptibility to caffeine and to the benzodiazepine inverse agonist, DMCM, in SWR and CBA-inbred mice.Pharmacol Biochem Behav. 1987; 26: 381-387
- Effects of agonists and antagonists of benzodiazepine, GABA and NMDA receptors, on caffeineinduced seizures in mice.Yakubustu, Seishin, Kodo. 1992; 12: 199-205
- Apnoea and seizures.Arch Dis Child. 1986; 61: 791-806
- Seizures associated with a new combination ‘pick-me-up’ pill.Ann Neurol. 1982; 11: 322
- Grand-mal seizure in a postpartum patient following intravenous infusion of caffeine sodium benzoate to treat persistent headache.J Clin Anesth. 1992; 4: 48-51
- The disposition of caffeine during and after pregnancy.Semin Perinatol. 1981; 5: 310-314
- Accidental dural puncture in obstetric patients and long term symptoms.BMJ. 1993; 306: 883-885
- Dural puncture and headache. Avoid the first but treat the second.BMJ. 1993; 306: 874-876
- Failure of delayed epidural blood patching to correct persistent cranial nerve palsies.Anesth Analg. 1994; 79: 806-807
© 1996 Published by Elsevier Inc.